This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
The virtual tour (available on the menu) allows you to see all areas of the pub, both inside and outside including the bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms.
The Baron at Bucknell is a traditional country inn, situated in the pretty South Shropshire village of Bucknell in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Within Bucknell village there are two pubs, a small shop, a butchers, a school, a church and a petrol garage. Bread, daily papers, milk and limited groceries etc. are available from these shops.
The inn was converted from farm buildings in the 1980’s and has many original features. Approach is via a tarmac drive and the inn is situated to the rear, off the main road. There is a large free car park at the main entrance.
There are 5 bedrooms all situated on the first floor which is accessed by a wide staircase with a half landing. Two rooms are doubles with a shower over the bath, one is a superior room with a whirlpool bath and separate quadrant shower cubicle. There are 2 twin rooms (these beds can be put together to make 6ft superking size beds). One twin has a shower over the bath and one has a 1000mm x 800mm shower cubicle (no bath).
Photos of all the rooms, bathrooms and the inn are available on the website. You can also take a virtual tour of all areas of the country inn.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01547 530549 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Debra and Phil Wright
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using www.transportdirect.info; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is SY7 0AH to get directions.
- The village is on the Heart of Wales railway line and the railway station is a 10-15 minute walk from the pub (approximately half a mile). There is a local bus service which runs to Knighton (4 miles to the west) and Ludlow (12 miles east) both market towns. In addition to this on selected days there is a Shropshire Link service which provides transport in all rural areas of Shropshire (this service must be booked in advance).
- The nearest bus stop is 100m – ask the driver for the stop for the Baron. There is no shelter or seating. All buses can accommodate one wheelchair.
- The pavement on the street leading to the Baron is paved.
- This Access Statement is available in larger print on request.
- Staff are happy to help with any special requests such as plating a meal in a bowl rather than a plate, smaller portions if available, menu choices etc. Please feel free to ask. We are happy to help.
Car Parking and Arrival
- Car parking is available at the main entrance of the inn. The car park is free, large, level and chipped with stones. Two designated spaces are available for less able customers. The car park and outside of the inn are lit up from dusk until the inn is closed at night.
- The main entrance is accessed by a rough edged slabbed patio 3200mm wide, then a flagstone entrance porch 1700mm wide. All have level access and there are no steps.
- The main entrance door is UPVC and one half is normally open when the pub is open. There is a 30mm threshold and the door opens outwards and is 6800mm wide. Both doors can be opened to give an opening of 1440mm. Please ask if you require assistance. Entrance into the pub is normally through this door, but other doors provide access.
- Stable Bar Door – this is accessed by a porch and is a pedestrian entrance. One step 190mm high by 420mm tread leads to an entrance porch. Both are slate. It is 2500mm to the door which opens outwards on a self-closer. The door is 1030mm wide. There are 3 steps up into the bar. There is no handrail.
- Assistance can be given with luggage on arrival.
- Guests are welcomed in the Lounge. The ground floor is level throughout. Guests can register at reception, in the lounge or in their bedroom if needed.
- Seating is available on a settle or upright chairs without arms.
- There is flagstone flooring in the entrance hall and carpet to the lounge.
- The area is evenly and well lit with overhead lighting, spot lights and wall lights.
- A magnifying glass, pen and pad of paper are available on request.
- Guests are shown the lounge, conservatory (where breakfast is served) and their bedroom.
- There are 5 bedrooms all located on the first floor and accessed via a 1040mm wide carpeted staircase. There is no lift available. There are 8 steps, then a half landing then a further 8 steps to the first floor. There is a handrail on both sides of the first 8 stairs, but not the half landing. There is one handrail to the top 8 stairs. The steps are 180mm high with a tread depth of 260mm.
- Bedrooms 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all on this level. There are 2 steps down to deluxe bedroom 5.
- Bedroom doors open inwards to the room and have overhead self closers fitted. Door openings are 840mm wide. All rooms have kingsize or twin beds, hypoallergenic bedding, dressing table area, seating area, bedside lamps, radio alarm clock, 32″ flat screen TV with integrated DVD/CD player subtitle feature is are available. All rooms are carpeted and offer colour contrast between woodwork, wall coverings and carpet. All rooms have overhead lighting, bedside lamps and dressing table light. All rooms are en-suite.
- Furniture can be removed on request. Please ask when enquiring and booking. Both twin rooms can have beds linked together to form superking 6ft beds.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (En-suite or Shared)
- Three bedrooms have showers fitted over the bath. The deluxe bedroom 5 has a whirlpool bath and a separate quadrant shower cubicle with a raised shower tray 120mm high. Bedroom 4 has no bath and a shower cubicle 1000mm wide by 800mm deep. It has a raised shower tray 100mm high which you step into. The shower door is central and opens outwards.
- All bathroom doors are 670mm wide
- All toilets are 430mm high.
- Wash hand basins are 840mm high.
- Floor covering is non-slip.
- There is a contrast between doors and walls.
- Towels are white but coloured towels are available by request when booking.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas are well lit using a combination of wall, spot and ceiling lights.
- The entrance lobby, patio and stable bar entrance porch have flag stone and slate floors.
- The lounge, conservatory, restaurant, stable bar, stairs and bedrooms have short pile carpet.
- The lounge, conservatory, stable bar and toilets are all on the ground floor and have good level access. The restaurant is also on the ground floor and is accessed by a ramp
- The lounge is located on the ground floor to the right of the main entrance. This room has a long bar and two seating areas. One table has a settle and 2 armless chairs. The other table has 6 captain’s chairs and a large chair with arms. Please see our website for photos.
- The lounge door opens out into the lobby, is 840mm wide, half glazed and is fitted with a self closer.
- The bar is 1100mm high and has two bar stools.
- The reception area is 1200mm high. Guest registration can take place at reception, in the lounge or within the bedroom if more convenient.
- The conservatory is a dining area and has a number of tables and chairs without arms. Furniture can be moved to accommodate walking frames and wheel chairs. Please advise us when booking. During busy periods we request pushchairs, walking aids are moved into a corner or the entrance lobby so that there is sufficient safe circulation space for all customers.
- The restaurant is accessed through the lounge. There is a ramp up to this room. This room has a number of rectangular and round tables and has a cider press and mill stone. Access within this room is more difficult due to the features; however we will try and accommodate a request for this room if possible. Table 1 has good access for the less mobile and has a pretty view of the garden.
- The stable bar is off the entrance hall to the left. This has a TV and pool table and a number of tables. The door opens into the hall and is 810mm wide.
- The gents is in the main entrance hall of the pub. The door is 740mm wide with a self closer and opens into the toilet. There are 4 urinals and one toilet cubicle. The WC is 400mm high.
- The ladies is next to the gents off the main entrance hall. The door is 740mm wide. There are two WC cubicles. The WC’s are 420mm high.
- The disabled WC is off the entrance lobby. This is accessed by an entry code. Please ask a member of staff for assistance.
- The door opens outwards and is 900mm wide. The WC is 500mm high. There are handrails and grab rails which are blue in colour, contrasting with the white walls and sanitary furniture.
- The wash hand basin is 870mm high and can be accessed while sitting on the WC.
- The light comes on automatically when the door is opened.
- There is an emergency pull cord adjacent to the WC.
- This toilet also has baby changing facilities and a wet room shower. There is a seat adjacent to the shower.
- Hooks for hanging clothes are on the back of the door.
- There is a large garden at the inn. This can be accessed directly from the car park or from the conservatory or restaurant during warm weather.
- Access from the car park is level. There is a small slate patio area adjacent to the gate separating the car park and garden. The main patio for dining is off the main pub building.
- Access from the conservatory is level however there is a threshold to the door of 30mm and these doors are 1340mm wide.
- The garden is grassed and has a raised area towards the rear on the way to the camping paddock.
- There is a boules pit to the rear.
- Access from the restaurant is over the door threshold and then there is a step down. This exit is not suitable for less mobile customers.
- There is a camping field to the rear of the beer garden. This has electric hook-up and water. Chemical disposal is around the corner from the main entrance to the pub.
- We will always try and accommodate customer’s needs. Staff are happy to help. We can offer magnifying glasses for reading. Food can be plated as a customer requests and cutlery can be provided as needed. Rectangular tables in the conservatory and restaurant may be better suited to wheel chairs as our round tables have centre pedestals and customers sometimes find it difficult to get in close enough to the table.
- We have a range of baby toys and bits and pieces to keep children amused.
- We are happy to warm milk and baby food but please check the temperature before giving to your baby.
- A fire plan and evacuation procedures are available in the bedrooms and behind the bar. Staff will assist vulnerable customers during the evacuation of the building.
- Unfortunately there is no lift to the property so bedrooms are suitable only for those with a reasonable level of mobility.
- We will always try and accommodate any special requirements and staff are happy to help. Please do not hesitate to ask for assistance.